Joint ICTP-SISSA-UNITS Physics Seminars next week (Weiner and Baryakhtar) @ICTP (and via Zoom)

HECAP - Margherita Di Giovannantonio hecap at ictp.it
Wed Mar 27 09:17:42 CET 2024

*_Joint ICTP-SISSA-UniTS Seminars_**__*

*Wednesday, 03 April* 2024 - *Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (and Zoom)
*

*
*

*
*

*14:30 -
https://indico.ictp.it/event/10654/<https://indico.ictp.it/event/10652/>
<https://indico.ictp.it/event/10654/> *

Neal Weiner (New York University)

*"Nu Physics in the LCDM Desert "*

*
*

_Abstract_
The standard model has a gap in physics scales below approximately 1
MeV. Current and upcoming cosmological observations will probe the
nature of the universe when it was at these temperatures. An important
consideration is what sorts of new physics could appear in this range
which would have observable consequences. We will discuss the
possibility that neutrino oscillations might equilibrate a new sector
and consider how naturally that might occur. Such scenarios may have
implications for existing cosmological tensions, such as the Hubble
tension and the S8 tension, which we will discuss.

*/_____________/*

*/
/*

*16:00 /- /*https://indico.ictp.it/event/10655/*/
/* <https://indico.ictp.it/event/10653/>

*/
/*

Masha Baryakhtar (University of Washington)

*/
/*

*/
/*

*"Cosmology with Varying Constants: Signatures of Hyperlight Scalars "*

*/
/*

_Abstract*/
/*_

Theories that seek to explain the outstanding puzzles of the Standard
Model of particle physics often predict new, light, feebly-interacting
particles. In this talk, I will outline a range of novel search
strategies that are required for their discovery, from the laboratory to
the sky. I will focus on the early universe, where even a small trace of
hyperlight scalar fields can be observed through the power of the cosmic
microwave background. Scalar fields which interact with photons and
electrons provide concrete microphysical models of varying-constant
scenarios, invoked as a potential resolution of discrepant measurements
of the universe's expansion rate. I will discuss cosmological and
laboratory constraints on these models, including measurements of quasar
absorption lines, abundances of light elements, and universality of free
fall, as well as their dynamics and signatures in the early universe and
their effect on the cosmic microwave background and inferred
cosmological parameters. _*/
/*_

*
*

*
*

*
*

*To join via Zoom *(valid for *both seminars*):

Zoom link:https://zoom.us/j/99139964641

Meeting ID:  991 3996 4641

Password: 866404