Today: Geometric Structures seminar - Eugenio Bellini - Tuesday March 26th, 2024 , 14:00 (Rome time) - room 133 at SISSA (and online)

Samuel Borza sborza at sissa.it
Tue Mar 26 09:55:23 CET 2024

Dear All,

This is to remind you of today's seminar from the series "Geometric Structures".

Speaker: Eugenio Bellini (Milano Bicocca)

Title: Geometry and topology of 3D-contact sub-Riemannian manifolds
Time: Tuesday March 26th, 2024 , 14:00 (Rome time)
Venue: room 133 - SISSA main building and online
https://sissa-it.zoom.us/j/85675591787?pwd=TUo2VXpmcEhOU1paRzBXUWp2MU1odz09
Meeting ID: 856 7559 1787
Password: geometry

----
Abstract:
A contact structure on a three dimensional manifold is a plane field satisfying a non-integrability condition. The topological properties of such structures are often subtle and difficult to detect. Indeed, even the simple statement that there are two different contact structures on R^3 is highly non-trivial to prove. In this talk I will describe some recent results concerning the relations between contact topology and sub-Riemannian geometry. The focus will be on tightness questions, both semi-local and global, and on geometric detection of overtwisted disks. In particular I will present a contac version of Hadamard theorem: the universal cover of any negatively curved normal contact manifold is the Heisenberg group. This is a joint work with A. Agrachev, S. Baranzini and L. Rizzi.
----

More information can be found here: https://sites.google.com/view/geometric-structures/

----
Samuël Borza