TODAY! "Physics of complex systems: Fast forward" seminars - 21 February

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Wed Feb 21 08:41:27 CET 2024

Dear All,

On Wednesday, 21 February, the Session "Physics of complex systems: Fast
forward" of the Spring College on the Physics of Complex Systems
<https://indico.ictp.it/event/10459/overview>
https://indico.ictp.it/event/10459/other-view?view=ictptimetable will
feature two seminars:

_14:00 - 15:00 - Modelling computations in brain circuits with low-rank
neural networks - Francesca MASTROGIUSEPPE __(Champalimaud Research,
Portugal)_

Abstract:
Our brain consists of billions of neurons, arranged in a multitude of
areas and densely interconnected through trillions of synapses. How do
interactions within this large complex network support the computations
that are required by our everyday behaviour? Current experimental
technologies enable the investigation of this question in animal models
on a large scale. However, due to the heterogeneity and complexity of
the resulting data, building mechanistic models of computations in
neural circuits that are together interpretable, flexible, and
data-grounded remains challenging.

In this presentation, I will introduce a new class of mathematical
models, named low-rank neural networks, aiming to address these
challenges. These models are rooted in the idea of integrating concepts
and tools from dimensionality reduction, a statistical approach that has
demonstrated promise in the analysis of experimental data, into neural
network models. The key strength of low-rank networks is that they can
be easily analysed mathematically, by using tools from statistical
physics and random matrix theory. I will show how this formalism can be
used to address standing theoretical questions in neuroscience and
artificial neural networks. I will also briefly discuss how those models
can be used to extract insight from large-scale experimental data, with
a focus on neural data collected from multiple cortical areas in the
brain of non-human primates.

_
15:30 - 16:30 - Self-organization of bacterial ecosystems from micro to
macro -  Alberto DINELLI (Université Paris Cité, Laboratoire Matière et
Systèmes Complexes-MSC, France)_

Abstract:
 From bacterial suspensions to bird flocks, the living world is
permeated with agents that are able to exert non-conservative forces on
their surroundings, and, as such, behave as active particles. Due to
their intrinsically out-of-equilibrium nature, these systems exhibit a
rich variety of emergent phenomena, such as collective motion, phase
separation in the absence of attractive forces, run-and-chase dynamics,
and much more.

In this talk, I will discuss how motility regulation in bacterial
systems shapes the collective organization of the community. In
particular, I will consider quorum-sensing interactions, through which
bacteria adapt their motility based on the local density of their peers.
Starting from the microscopic dynamics of interacting bacteria, I will
show how one can derive the large-scale hydrodynamics of the system,
which in turns allows to predict and characterize the emerging
phenomenology.

I will show how this framework can be applied to account for the
self-organization of bacterial ecosystems, where multiple species of
bacteria live and interact in the same environment. By explicitly
bridging microscopic and macroscopic dynamics, I will show that, under
conditions that are derived explicitly, the system is effectively
described by a large-scale equilibrium theory. In turn, this will allow
us to account quantitatively, and without fitting parameters, for the
rich behaviors observed in microscopic simulations including phase
separation, demixing, and multi-phase coexistence. Finally, when the
effective-equilibrium condition is violated, I will show the emergence
of a wealth of dynamical patterns, corresponding to a run-and-chase
dynamics between different bacterial strains.

_Venue: Kastler Lecture Hall, Adriatico Guest House, Riva Massimiliano e
Carlotta, Grignano I - 34151 Trieste (Italy)_

Best regards,
Erica

--
Erica Sarnataro