Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar, 27 April at 11:00am, Shane Kelly

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Thu Apr 13 14:07:45 CEST 2023

---------------------------------------
  Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar
---------------------------------------

** * * Thursday**, 27 April 2023, 11:00**am ***(CET)** * **
In person: *Luigi Stasi Seminar Room **(Leonardo Building, second floor)***
**
/Zoom:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwscOGrrjsoHtS5ewzYxnhhktlFf55wYHxP/<https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIsfuuhqjsrE9EZY2loNxNobg8Lf39NUVHJ>

Speaker: *Shane Kelly *(Johannes Gutenberg-Universität)

Title: *Coherence and Scrambling in Quantum Circuits Coupled to a
Monitored Environment

*
Abstract:
I will present our recent work on information transitions induced by
coupling to an environmental. The first transition I will discuss occurs
in a monitored random circuit where previously it was shown that a
competition between unitaries and measurements can generate an
entanglement transition. Here, we will show that an entanglement
transition can be tuned by a competition between coherence generating
and coherence destroying circuit elements. The second transition I will
present occurs in a circuit that exchanges qubits with an environment.
No measurements are preformed, but a transition in scrambling occurs
tuned by the rate of coupling to the environment, p. Using the
out-of-time-order correlator (OTOC) to characterize scrambling, we find
a nonequilibrium phase transition in the directed percolation
universality class at a critical swap rate, p_c: for p<p_c, the
ensemble-averaged OTOC exhibits ballistic growth with a tunable light
cone velocity, while for p>p_c, the OTOC fails to percolate within the
system and vanishes uniformly after a finite time, indicating that all
local operators are rapidly swapped into the environment. I will also
present the consequences of both transitions for the encoding of quantum
information. In the first case,  we show how coherence is a requirement
for quantum communication, provide coherence bounds for stabilizer error
correction codes, and argue for a heuristic useful for classical
simulations of open system dynamics with the potential of an exponential
speed up. In the case of the scrambling transition, we present an
efficient decoder whose fidelity undergoes a transition that provides an
experimentally viable way to observe a quantum information transition,
circumventing the post selection problem known for measurement induced
transitions.

https://arxiv.org/abs/2210.11547
https://arxiv.org/abs/2210.14242