Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar, 2 May at 11:00am, Ivan Khaymovich

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Thu Apr 13 09:45:08 CEST 2023

---------------------------------------
  Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar
---------------------------------------

** * * Tuesday**, 2 May 2023, 11:00**am ***(CET)** * **
In person: *Luigi Stasi Seminar Room **(Leonardo Building, second floor)***
**
/Zoom:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYrceqsqjgtHtf6zzYWD1A6lEHGqh7QoIHk/<https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIsfuuhqjsrE9EZY2loNxNobg8Lf39NUVHJ>

Speaker: *Ivan Khaymovich *(Stockholm University)

Title: *Localization enhancement in gain-loss non-Hermitian disordered
models

*
Abstract:
Recently the interest to non-Hermitian disordered models has been
revived, due to the claims of instability of a many-body localization to
a coupling to a bath.
To describe such open quantum systems, one often focuses on an energy
leakage to a bath, using effective non-Hermitian Hamiltonians. A
well-known Hatano-Nelson model [1], being a 1d Anderson localization
(AL) model, with different hopping amplitudes to the right/left, shows
AL breakdown, as non-Hermiticity suppresses the interference.
Unlike this, we consider models with the complex gain-loss disorder and
show that in general these systems tend to localization due to
non-Hermiticity.
First, we focus on a non-Hermitian version [2] of a Rosenzweig-Porter
model [3], known to carry a fractal phase [4] along with the AL and
ergodic ones.
We show that ergodic and localized phases are stable against the
non-Hermitian matrix entries, while the fractal phase, intact to
non-Hermiticity of off-diagonal terms, gives a way to AL in a gain-loss
disorder.
The understanding of this counterintuitive phenomenon is given in terms
of the cavity method and in addition in simple hand-waving terms from
the Fermi's golden rule, applicable, strictly speaking, to a Hermitian
RP model. The main effect in this model is given by the fact that the
generally complex diagonal potential forms an effectively 2d (complex)
distribution, which parametrically increases the bare level spacing and
suppresses the resonances.
Next, we consider a power-law random banded matrix ensemble (PLRBM) [5],
known to show AL transition (ALT) at the power of the power-law hopping
decay a=d equal to the dimension d. In [6], we show that a non-Hermitian
gain-loss disorder in PLRBM shifts ALT to smaller values
$d/2<a_{AT}(W)<d$, dependent on the disorder on-site W.
A similar effect of the reduced critical disorder due to the gain-loss
complex-valued disorder has been recently observed by us numerically [7].
In order to analytically explain the above numerical results, we derive
an effective non-Hermitian resonance counting and show that the
delocalization transition is driven by so-called "bad resonances",
  which cannot be removed by the wave-function hybridization (e.g., in
the renormalization group approach), while the usual "Hermitian"
resonances are suppressed in the same way as in the non-Hermitian RP model.

[1] N. Hatano, D. R. Nelson, "Localization Transitions in Non-Hermitian
Quantum Mechanics", PRL 77, 570 (1996).
[2] G. De Tomasi, I. M. K. "Non-Hermitian Rosenzweig-Porter
random-matrix ensemble: Obstruction to the fractal phase", Phys. Rev. B,
106, 094204 (2022).
[3] N. Rosenzweig and C. E. Porter, “Repulsion of energy levels” in
complex atomic spectra,” Phys. Rev. B 120, 1698 (1960).
[4] V. E. Kravtsov, I. M. K., E. Cuevas, and M. Amini, “A random matrix
model with localization and ergodic transitions,” New J. Phys. 17,
122002 (2015).
[5] A. D. Mirlin, Y. V. Fyodorov, F.-M. Dittes, J. Quezada, and T. H.
Seligman, “Transition from localized to extended eigenstates in the
ensemble of power-law random banded matrices,” Phys. Rev. E 54,
3221–3230 (1996).
[6] G. De Tomasi, I. M. K. "Non-Hermitian resonance counting in
gain-loss power law random banded matrices", in preparation.
[7] L. S. Levitov "Absence of localization of vibrational modes due to
dipole-dipole interaction", EPL 9, 83 (1989).
[8] G. De Tomasi, I. M. K. "Enhancement of many-body localization in
non-Hermitian systems", in preparation.