What's new on the EC's Research and Innovation website

Henningsen Susanne hennings at ictp.it
Mon Mar 22 16:02:13 CET 2021

read on-line version
<https://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/rtd/newsletter-specific-archive-issue.cfm?newsletter_service_id=1325&lang=en>
| ISSN 2599-9222

  Research and Innovation

    What's new

European Commission Logo

Header Image

follow us : ‌ icon Twitter <https://twitter.com/EUScienceInnov> ‌ icon
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/EUScienceInnov/> ‌ icon Youtube
<https://www.youtube.com/EUScienceInnovation> ‌ icon RSS
<http://ec.europa.eu/research/index.cfm?pg=rss&lg=en> ‌

News Alerts
Genome editing: Commission’s Ethics Group calls for wide-ranging
societal debate and global governance
The European Group on Ethics in Science and New Technologies (EGE), an
independent advisory body to the Commission, has today published its
Opinion on the ethics of genome editing. The Opinion analyses ethical
questions raised by the application of genome editing in humans, animals
and plants, and hence spans health, research, agriculture and
environmental aspects.

The Opinion was delivered to the President of the European Commission
and to Commissioner Gabriel (Innovation, Research, Culture, Education
and Youth).

	Main URL
<https://ec.europa.eu/info/news/genome-editing-commissions-ethics-group-calls-wide-ranging-societal-debate-and-global-governance-2021-mar-19_en&pk_campaign=rtd_news>

SeeAlso

	See also
	European Group on Ethics in Science and New Technologies (EGE)
<https://ec.europa.eu/info/research-and-innovation/strategy/support-policy-making/scientific-support-eu-policies/ege_en?pk_campaign=rtd_news>

Success stories
Helping policy-makers understand how to tackle TB effectively

Tuberculosis (TB) kills 3 000 people every day and over 1 000 people
fall sick with TB each hour. One EU-supported project is finding and
treating cases of TB in Nepal and Vietnam to try and accelerate progress
towards eradication.

Photo

	Main URL
<https://ec.europa.eu/research/infocentre/article_en.cfm?id=/research/headlines/news/article_21_03_17_en.html?infocentre&item=Infocentre&artid=54425&pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

SeeAlso

	See also
	More Success stories
<https://ec.europa.eu/research/infocentre/index_en.cfm?pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

Events
The Carbon Element – Key towards a sustainable society
During this event, speakers from the European Commission, the European
Parliament, JRC, academia and the industry sector will whether carbon
could be depicted as an endangered or conflict element in the next
edition of the EuChemS Periodic Table. The online webinar will also
provide an opportunity to discuss the EuChemS Periodic Table.

	Main URL
<https://ec.europa.eu/info/events/carbon-element-key-towards-sustainable-society-2021-apr-22_en&pk_campaign=rtd_news>

Date

	Date
	22/03/2021

Venue

	Venue
	Online

SeeAlso

	See also
	More events
<https://ec.europa.eu/info/research-and-innovation/events/upcoming-events_en&pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

Horizon magazine
Q&A: We need non-critical raw materials for green tech to flourish

Developing new, green technologies has been hailed as a way to both
achieve Europe’s environmental goals and support its economic recovery
following the coronavirus pandemic. But what type of green technologies
do we need and how do we get them scaled up to a point where they can
have a real impact?

Photo

	Main URL
<https://horizon-magazine.eu/article/qa-we-need-non-critical-raw-materials-green-tech-flourish.html>

SeeAlso

	See also
	Horizon magazine <https://horizon-magazine.eu/>

The European Commission is committed to personal data protection. Any
personal data is processed in line with the Regulation (EU) 2018/1725
<https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32018R1725&from=EN>.
Please read the privacy statement
<http://ec.europa.eu/research/pdf/ssps_communication_19022019.pdf>.