What's new on the EC's Research and Innovation website

Susanne Henningsen hennings at ictp.it
Mon Jan 11 16:39:08 CET 2021

read on-line version
<https://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/rtd/newsletter-specific-archive-issue.cfm?newsletter_service_id=1325&lang=en>
| ISSN 2599-9222

  Research and Innovation

    What's new

European Commission Logo

Header Image

follow us : ‌ icon Twitter <https://twitter.com/EUScienceInnov> ‌ icon
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/EUScienceInnov/> ‌ icon Youtube
<https://www.youtube.com/EUScienceInnovation> ‌ icon RSS
<http://ec.europa.eu/research/index.cfm?pg=rss&lg=en> ‌

News Alerts
EU funded clinical trial finds new treatments to be effective against
COVID-19
An international team of researchers has confirmed that two
immunosuppressant drugs – tocilizumab and sarilumab –normally used to
treat rheumatoid arthritis, significantly reduce the time spent by
COVID-19 patients in intensive care and reduce the risk of death by
almost a quarter. These findings are the result of innovative trial
designs set up with support from the EU and other research funders.

Mariya Gabriel, Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture,
Education and Youth said:

/These important new findings mean fewer deaths and shorter stays in
intensive care, preserving hospital capacity to deal with the pandemic
and save lives. We would not have found these treatments so quickly
without the EU driving this truly international effort//./

	Main URL
<https://ec.europa.eu/info/news/eu-funded-clinical-trial-finds-new-treatments-be-effective-against-covid-19-2021-jan-08_en&pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

SeeAlso

	See also
	Coronavirus research
<https://ec.europa.eu/info/research-and-innovation/research-area/health-research-and-innovation/coronavirus-research-and-innovation_en?pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

Success stories
Sensing module keeps watch beneath the waves

EU-funded researchers have designed a standard instrument module to
monitor conditions in the deep sea. As part of a Europe-wide
marine-sensing infrastructure, the modules will supply reliable
long-term data on the state of our seas and oceans.

Photo

	Main URL
<http://ec.europa.eu/research/infocentre/article_en.cfm?id=/research/headlines/news/article_21_01_06_en.html?infocentre&item=Infocentre&artid=53925&pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

SeeAlso

	See also
	More Success stories
<https://ec.europa.eu/research/infocentre/index_en.cfm?pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

Publications
Industry 5.0: Towards more sustainable, resilient and human-centric
industry
The report “Industry 5.0” recognises the power of industry to achieve
societal goals beyond jobs and growth to become a resilient provider of
prosperity.

	Main URL
<https://ec.europa.eu/info/publications/industry-50_en&pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

SeeAlso

	See also
	Industry 5.0
<https://ec.europa.eu/info/research-and-innovation/research-area/industrial-research-and-innovation/industry-50_en&pk_campaign=rtd_news>

Horizon magazine
Q&A: ‘We need to reduce the ‘embodied energy’ of buildings

Retrofitting Europe’s buildings for energy efficiency is not enough to
slash the carbon footprint of the construction sector and cut emissions
in time to meet the Paris climate agreement goals, according to Dr
Catherine De Wolf, assistant professor of design and construction
management at TU Delft in the Netherlands.

Photo

	Main URL
<https://horizon-magazine.eu/article/qa-we-need-reduce-embodied-energy-buildings.html>

SeeAlso

	See also
	Horizon magazine <https://horizon-magazine.eu/>

The European Commission is committed to personal data protection. Any
personal data is processed in line with the Regulation (EU) 2018/1725
<https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32018R1725&from=EN>.
Please read the privacy statement
<http://ec.europa.eu/research/pdf/ssps_communication_19022019.pdf>.