Reminder - CMSP Seminar (Atomistic Simulation Webinar Series): Wednesday 10 February 2021 at 11 a.m.

Ivanissevich Nicoletta ivanisse at ictp.it
Tue Feb 9 09:30:08 CET 2021

Virtual - Zoom Meeting

CMSP Atomistic Simulation Webinar Series
/
/
* * * *Wednesday, 10 February 2021 at 11:00 a.m.** * *

Speaker: *Maytal Caspary Toroker *(Department of Materials Science and
Engineering, Technion - Israel)

Title: *Modeling polaron hopping in ternary spinel oxides*

Register in advance at:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEufuqhrzMpE928Jn8ylj2EnACS0uPmTyB1
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the seminar.

Abstract:

The small-polaron hopping model has been used for several decades for
modeling electronic charge transport in oxides. Despite its
significance, the model was developed for binary oxides, and its
accuracy has not been rigorously tested for higher-order oxides. To
investigate this issue, we chose the Mn_x Fe_3-x O_4 spinel system,
which has exciting electrochemical and catalytic properties, and mixed
cation oxidation states that enable us to examine the mechanisms of
small-polaron transport. Using a combination of experimental results and
DFT+/U/ calculations, we find that the charge transport occurs only
between like-cations (Fe/Fe or Mn/Mn). And due to asymmetric hopping
barriers and formation energies, we find that the (Mn)2+(Oh) polaron is
energetically preferred to the (Fe)2+(Oh) polaron, resulting in an
asymmetric contribution of the Mn/Mn pathways.

CMSP, Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
http://www.ictp.it/research/cmsp.aspx

The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
https://www.ictp.it/  <https://www.ictp.it/>

----