ICTP Mathematics Seminars - Friday 30 August, at 14:30 (Jose Ramon Madrid Padilla and Mariana Smit Vega Garcia)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Wed Aug 21 15:54:24 CEST 2019

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2019

Friday 30 August, starting at 14:30

VENUE: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)

14:30 - 15:30  José Ramón Madrid Padilla (UCLA)

Title: Directional maximal function along the primes

Abstract: In this talk we will discuss the l2-boundedness of the
directional maximal operators along primes. Through Fourier Analysis we
will make a reduction to study two different situations, in one of them
we will appeal to the Bourgain best constant argument and in the other
we will use a nice incidence result established recently

15:30 - 16:00 break

16:00 - 17:00 Mariana Smit Vega Garcia (Western Washington University)

Title: Free boundary problems

Abstract: The study of one of the most renowned examples of free
boundary problems, the classical obstacle problem, began in the 60’s
with the pioneering works of G. Stampacchia, H. Lewy and J. L. Lions.
During the past five decades, it has led to beautiful and deep
developments in the calculus of variations and geometric partial
differential equations. One of its crowning achievements has been the
development, due to L. Caffarelli, of the theory of free boundaries.
Nowadays the obstacle problem continues to offer many challenges and its
study is as active as ever.  In this talk, I will overview the obstacle
problem and describe a few methods used to tackle two fundamental
questions: what is the optimal regularity of the solution, and what can
be said about the free boundary.
This is based on joint works with Mark Allen, Nicola Garofalo & Arshak
Petrosyan

--

Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela