CMSP Seminar @ICTP Stasi Room: Brijesh KUMAR on Thursday 22 June at 11:30

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Fri Jun 16 12:04:13 CEST 2017

Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Seminar

Thursday 22 June at 11:30 - L.Stasi Seminar Room

Speaker: Brijesh KUMAR (JNU, New Delhi, India)

"Quantum Oscillations of Magnetization in Kondo Insulators"

Abstract:

Motivated by recent observations of quantum oscillations of
magnetization in a Kondo insulator (SmB_6), we investigate the Kondo
lattice model of spin-1/2 local moments coupled to the conduction
electrons at half-filling for its orbital response to magnetic field.
The key finding of our study is that the quantum oscillations of
magnetization in Kondo insulators occur as a bulk phenomenon, which
manifests itself through the inversion of a Hofstadter - quantized
dispersion of the gaped charge quasi-particles whose chemical-potential
surface these oscillations measure . We find this through a minimal
effective dynamics, in a certain canonical representation of electrons ,
that appropriately describes the Kondo insulating state, and reveals
important new features such as the inversion and Lifshitz-like
transition for the charge quasi-particles. We also predicts these
oscillations to occur in the spin-density wave insulators .

All are welcome to attend.
http://indico.ictp.it/event/8264/