QLS guest seminar, Monday 19 June - What's New Lunch, Tuesday 20 June

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Mon Jun 19 09:35:18 CEST 2017

QLS guest seminar

Monday 19 June at 14:00
ICTP, Central Area, 2nd floor, old SISSA building, Via Beirut

Title: "Aggregation of wage and capital income in economy"

Speaker: Ali Hosseiny - Shahid Beheshti University, Tehran

Abstract:

Aggregation of different values in the complex systems is one of the
major goals of the science of complexity. In economy there are some
known stylized facts which address relations between different aggregate
values. Within them the relation between aggregate wage income and
national income has been of the most interesting ones. Labor share of
income has been sustainable over a century and has been about two third
of the national income in the United States. Cobb and Douglass suggested
the hypothesis of the aggregate production function to address the roots
of the sustainability. Their hypothesis however has been under huge
criticism. In this talk we introduce the theory of production function.
We then look over the theory from the statistical physics point of view.
In the following we aggregate capital in a soup of firms. In the end we
present a new proposal for the roots of the sustainability of the labor
share of income.

Everyone interested is most welcome to attend!

The next "What's New" Lunch will take place on Tuesday, 20 June at 12:30in the Common Area, 2nd floor, ex SISSA building (Via Beirut).

You're most cordially invited to join.

Title: "Journey of CPUs and GPUs as promising future for large-scale
computation"

Speaker: Mihir Durve  (ICTP and UniTS)

Abstract:

The best supercomputer of one time is no match with the microprocessor
in an average smartphone of today. In this discussion session, we shall
take a look into the exciting journey of microprocessors starting from
the first commercially available Intel 4004 microprocessor in 1971 to
multicore Xeon CPUs of the current generation.

In recent years the multicore CPUs are being assisted by co-processors
and/or Graphics Processing Units (GPUs) to complete a task. The
development of GPUs have added significant advancement in scientific
computation. The GPUs which were initially developed for the gaming
industry are also being used for large scale simulations and much more
beyond that by the scientific community today. We shall look into recent
hardware developments and software to extract performance out of the
computing machines with both CPUs and GPUs. Briefly, we shall also take
a look into the promising future of the computing machines.

Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
Quantitative Life Sciences
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
Trieste,  Italy
Tel. +39-040-2240623
e-mail: qls at ictp.it