UPDATED REMINDER - MATHS Seminars this week at ICTP

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Tue Dec 5 14:09:22 CET 2017

MATH EVENTS THIS WEEK AT ICTP

    _Today, Tuesday 5 December_

*at 14:00
in the ***Budinich Lecture Hall** (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building)

Second lecture of the _MINI-COURSE on __Quantum Black Holes for
Mathematicians_

By Atish Dabholkar (ICTP, HECAP)

Description of the course:  Study of black holes in string theory has
revealed a beautiful and precise connection between the physics of
quantum black holes and topics in number theory and geometry. The aim of
these lectures is to outline these connections through examples starting
with basic concepts and motivations from physics.

*

*

    **_Tomorrow, Wednesday 6 December _

*at 14:00 *
**in the Luigi Stasi Seminar Room **(ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building,
First floor)

_SEMINAR
_
by Pavel Putrov (IAS, USA)

Title:
Towards a categorification of WRT invariant of 3-manifolds

Abstract:
In my talk I will conjecture existence of certain new homological
invariants of closed 3-manifolds. The invariants provide a
categorification of the analytically continued Witten-Reshetikhin-Turaev
(WRT) invariant, have some similarities with Heegaard/monopole Floer
homology and generalize Khovanov homology of knots to compact
3-manifolds. Physically such invariants can be defined as Hilbert spaces
of M-theory in certain backgrounds. I will describe mathematical
properties of such invariants, and how to calculate them for some
specific types of 3-manifolds. The talk is mainly based on a joint work
with S. Gukov, D. Pei and C. Vafa.

    _On Thursday 7 December_

*at 14:00*
*in the ***Budinich Lecture Hall** (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building)

First lecture of the _MINI-COURSE on Knot invariants, units, K-theory
and modular form__s _

by Professor Don B. Zagier (MPI, Bonn and ICTP)

Description of the course: I will present joint work with Frank Calegari
and Stavros Garoufalidis in which elements of the Bloch group of a
number field (a more elementary version of algebraic K-theory that will
be explained in detail in the lectures) produce units in cyclotomic
extensions of this field. The result was motivated by experimental
discoveries relating to quantum invariants (specifically, Jones
polynomials and the Kashaev invariant) of knots, and had an unexpected
application to a proof of a well-known conjecture of Werner Nahm
relating the modularity of certain q-hypergeometric series to the
vanishing of a certain invariant in the Bloch group.
_

_

    _On Friday 8 December
    _

_Two events_ will take place *_in the _**_Luigi Stasi Seminar Room_*
(ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)

1)  From 15:00 to 16:00

_Course on Vertex algebras and modular forms_

By Don B. Zagier (MPI, Bonn/ICTP)

The course normally takes place at SISSA. It has been rescheduled at
ICTP as SISSA will be closed on Friday

2) From 16:00 to 17:00_
____
__SEMINAR_*

*By Kiyokazu Nagatomo  (Osaka University)

Title:
Modular forms of rational weights and the minimal models*

*Abstract:
After the modular forms of rational weights on Γ(5) (and Γ(7)) were dis-
covered, T. Ibukiyama formulated modular forms of weights (N − 3)/2N (N
 > 3 and odd) on Γ(N) in the millennium, which have remained mysterious
until now. In this talk I will gives a new point of view, which has
advantages of understanding the factional weights and congruence groups
that appear in the theory of Ibukiyama.
I (we) have been working on the minimal models and the associated
differential equations which are a higher order generalization of
Kaneko-Zagier equation. Recently, we found that the special case of the
minimal models “essentially” gives these modular forms of fractional
weights, where “essentially” means “after multiplying a power of eta
function.” The characters (one-point functions) of (rational) conformal
field theories may have negative powers of q when they are expanded as
Fourier series. Of course, we can have only non-negative powers by
multiplying a power of q. However, the results lose almost all good
properties which characters have (including modular invariance
property). Now, since the eta function commutes with the Serre
derivation, we multiply a power of the eta function to the characters.
Moreover, the power must be the so-called effective central charge in
the Physics literature. Then the result we will prove is that modular
forms of rational weights are obtained by multiplying ηceff to characters.
In a point of view of differential equations such as the Kaneko-Zagier
equation, special functions would be defined as solutions of
differential equations with regular singularities. Therefore, we may
think that modular forms of rational weights would be “special functions.”
This talk requires elementary knowledge of (modular forms), vertex
operator algebras, minimal models and modular linear differential
equations, which have been (will be) given in series of lectures of
Prof. Zagier.
Finally, this is a joint work with Y. Sakai (who is a number theorist)
at Kyushu University.