Maths Seminar - Additional events this Friday at ICTP - by Professors Zagier (MPI,Bonn and ICTP) and Nagatomo (Osaka University)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Tue Dec 5 13:51:19 CET 2017

TWO M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S

Will take place on _Friday 8 December _

in the *_Luigi Stasi Seminar Room_* (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building,
first floor)

1)  From 15:00 to 16:00

*Course on Vertex algebras and modular forms*

By Don B. Zagier (MPI, Bonn/ICTP)

The course normally takes place at SISSA. It has been rescheduled at
ICTP as SISSA will be closed on Friday

2) From 16:00 to 17:00

Seminar on *
Modular forms of rational weights and the minimal models

*By Kiyokazu Nagatomo  (Osaka University)

Abstract:
After the modular forms of rational weights on Γ(5) (and Γ(7)) were dis-
covered, T. Ibukiyama formulated modular forms of weights (N − 3)/2N (N
 > 3 and odd) on Γ(N) in the millennium, which have remained mysterious
until now. In this talk I will gives a new point of view, which has
advantages of understanding the factional weights and congruence groups
that appear in the theory of Ibukiyama.
I (we) have been working on the minimal models and the associated
differential equations which are a higher order generalization of
Kaneko-Zagier equation. Recently, we found that the special case of the
minimal models “essentially” gives these modular forms of fractional
weights, where “essentially” means “after multiplying a power of eta
function.” The characters (one-point functions) of (rational) conformal
field theories may have negative powers of q when they are expanded as
Fourier series. Of course, we can have only non-negative powers by
multiplying a power of q. However, the results lose almost all good
properties which characters have (including modular invariance
property). Now, since the eta function commutes with the Serre
derivation, we multiply a power of the eta function to the characters.
Moreover, the power must be the so-called effective central charge in
the Physics literature. Then the result we will prove is that modular
forms of rational weights are obtained by multiplying ηceff to characters.
In a point of view of differential equations such as the Kaneko-Zagier
equation, special functions would be defined as solutions of
differential equations with regular singularities. Therefore, we may
think that modular forms of rational weights would be “special functions.”
This talk requires elementary knowledge of (modular forms), vertex
operator algebras, minimal models and modular linear differential
equations, which have been (will be) given in series of lectures of
Prof. Zagier.
Finally, this is a joint work with Y. Sakai (who is a number theorist)
at Kyushu University.