CM Seminar at ICTP - Tuesday 10 November at 16:00 Euler Lecture Hall LB

Condensed Matter Section cm at ictp.it
Thu Nov 5 12:15:10 CET 2015

Condensed Matter and Statistical Physics Seminar

TUESDAY, 10 NOVEMBER, at 16:00 hrs.
Euler Lecture Hall, ICTP Leonardo Building, Terrace Level

Oleg BROVKO
Max-Planck Institute of Microstructure Physics,
Halle (Saale), Germany)

"Controlling Magnetism at the Nanoscale on Metallic and Semi-insulating
Surfaces"

_Abstract:_

Ultimate control over magnetic properties of nano-scale surface
structures has been one of the holy grails of the surface-science
community for quite some time. Among the many ways of achieving this
control I would like to highlight a few pertaining to metallic and
semi-insulating surfaces.

For metallic surfaces I shall concentrate of the possibility to control
surface magnetism with charge doping and external electric field (EEF)
application, showing that (i) magneto-electric coupling via EEF-based
charge manipulation is a way to tailor single adatom spins, exchange
interaction between adsorbates or anisotropies of chains and layered
systems [1-3]; (ii) the effect of EEF can be enhanced by immersing the
target system into an electrolyte or ionic liquid [1,4] and (iii) that
similar physics can be found in charge traps, metallic systems decoupled
from a bulk electron bath. [1,5]

As powerful tools often turn out to have their drawbacks and side
effects, also the use of substrate electrons' manipulation for tailoring
magnetism at the nanoscale often unfavorably affect the dynamics and
non-ground-state properties of nanostructures due to the electron
scattering from the substrate's vast electron bath.

I would argue, that a compromise can be found in the use of
semi-insulating substrates, such as thin layers of CuN, MgO of BN on a
metallic support. As an example I shall show that (i) electric field can
also be used on such surfaces to tailor the exchange-coupling of
magnetic adatoms on MgO/Ag(001) and that (ii) control over the
nanostructure-substrate coupling in conjunction with hydrogenation opens
up a possibility to tune the spins of single Co adatoms on corrugated
hexagonal boron nitride supported on Rh(111) [6]

[1] O. Brovko, P. Ruiz-Di­az, T.R. Dasa, and V.S. Stepanyuk, J. Phys.
Cond. Matter 26, 093001 (2014) [2] N. Negulyaev, V.S. Stepanyuk, W.
Hergert, and J. Kirschner, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 037202 (2011) [3] T.R.
Dasa, P.A. Ignatiev, and V.S. Stepanyuk, Phys. Rev. B 85, 205447 (2012)
[4] L. Juarez-Reyes, G.M. Pastor, and V.S. Stepanyuk, Phys. Rev. B 86,
235436 (2012) [5] P. Ruiz-Di­az, T.R. Dasa, and V. S. Stepanyuk, Phys.
Rev. Lett. 110, 267203 (2013) [6] P. Jacobson, T. Herden, M. Muenks, G.
Laskin, O. Brovko, V. Stepanyuk, M. Ternes, and K. Kern, Nature Commun.
6, 8536 (2015)