Math Seminar at ICTP - Monday, 9 November, at 16:00

Math Group math at ictp.it
Wed Nov 4 16:46:17 CET 2015

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2015

Monday, 9 November, at 16:00 hrs.

Anton Mellit (SISSA/ICTP)

A proof of the shuffle conjecture

16:00 - 16:50    Part I - Basic introduction

16:50 - 17:00    Coffee break

17:00 - 17:50    Part II - Technical discussion

Abstract: The shuffle conjecture gives a combinatorial interpretation of
certain generating functions arising from the study of the action of the
permutation group S_n on the algebra of polynomials in 2n variables x_1,
y_1,..., x_n, y_n. The combinatorial side is given in terms of certain
objects called parking functions, and the generating functions that
arise there can be thought of as generalizations of Catalan numbers. The
conjecture was formulated by Haglund and his collaborators in 2005, and
since then attracted a lot of interest of algebraic combinatorists.
During Erik Carlsson's stay at ICTP last year we were able to prove the
conjecture, and that's what the talk will be about. First 50 minutes are
intended for a general audience, I will talk about symmetric functions
and demonstrate some important general tools for dealing with the
generating functions of the kind we encountered. After a short break I
will continue with more details on our proof.

Venue:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group