Seminar announcement

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Wed Nov 27 14:34:48 CET 2013

Speaker: Marta Zoppello (University of Padova)

Date: Wednesday, 4 December, 2013 - 14:00

Room: SISSA - Santorio A - room 133

Title: Controllability and locomotion in ideal fluids

Abstract: The connection between swimming and control theory is
attracting increasing attention in the recent literature. Starting from
an idea of Alberto Bressan [2] we study the system of a body whose
position and shape are described by a finite number of parameters, and
is immersed in an ideal and incompressible fluid. First of all we show
that thanks to the linearity of the Euler’s equations which govern the
motion of the fluid, the system’s Lagrangian is the sum of the kinetic
energy of the body and of the fluid. Then, exploiting geometrical tools
in control theory, used also in [1], we analyze the properties of the
kinetic energy metric of these kind of systems and the consequences on
their controllability. In particular we prove that we end up with an
affine control system in which the presence of the drift depends on
initial data. Finally we study the conditions in which they are
controllable at least locally.