Mathlab seminar announcement

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Mon May 6 13:10:51 CEST 2013

MATHLAB SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

Speaker: Mark Bowick - Syracuse University, USA

Title: On Shape and Order in Soft Matter

Abstract: After some general introduction on unusual minima and shape
problems in soft matter I will treat the specific case of liquid
crystalline vesicles. The shape of liquid-crystalline vesicles,
molecularly thin membrane sacs enclosing a finite volume, is determined
by the competition between liquid-crystalline deformations on a surface
to be determined and the bending energy of the surface in the ambient
bulk. We analyze this problem in two limits: stiff (high bending
rigidity compared to Frank modulus) and floppy (low bending energy
compared to Frank modulus). The solution in the floppy limit is quite
remarkable: it is the surface of a regular tetrahedron with topological
defects at the vertices. Thus floppy liquid crystalline vesicles, which
have no translational order, are sharp faceted structures more commonly
found in hard crystalline materials.

Venue: Wednesday 22 May at 2 pm in lecture room 004

--
Dr. Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth
Secretary of the Mathematics Area
emanuele.tuillier at sissa.it