dr. Remizov's seminar at SISSA

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Mon May 6 08:19:51 CEST 2013

SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

Title: Hypoelliptic diffusion and human vision

Alexey Remizov
CMAP, Ecole Polytechnique CNRS, Palaiseau Cedex, France

E-mail: alexey-remizov at yandex.ru

The talk is devoted to a method of image reconstruction based on the
model of neurogeometry of vision, due to Jean Petitot.

One of the main features of this model is that the primary visual cortex
V1 lifts an image from the plane to the bundle of directions of the plane.
Neurons are grouped into orientation columns, each of them corresponding
to a point of this bundle.
A corrupted image is reconstructed by minimizing the energy necessary
for the activation of the orientation columns
corresponding to regions in which the image is corrupted.
The minimization process intrinsically defines a hypoelliptic partial
differential equation on the bundle of directions of the plane.

In this talk, we focus on the theoretical and numerical aspects of
integration of this equations.
An effective fully parallellizable numerical algorithm is presented.
The presented results are obtained in our joint work with  Ugo Boscain,
Jean-Paul Gauthier, and Roman Chertovskih.

Wednesday 8 May at 2 pm in lecture room 133