MathLab seminar announcement

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Tue May 7 10:59:42 CEST 2013

MATHLAB SEMINAR ANNOUNCEMENT

Speaker: Annalisa Quaini (Math Department, University of Houston, Texas, US)

Title: A Fluid-Structure Interaction Model to Simulate Mitral Valve
Regurgitant Flow

Abstract: We discuss the numerical approximation of a fluid-structure
interaction (FSI) problem involving an incompressible fluid (blood).
This fluid surrounds an elastic wall containing a geometric orifice
which mimics a leaky mitral valve. Our goal is to simulate hemodynamics
conditions encountered in patients with mitral regurgitation in order to
show strengths and limitations of echocardiographic methods to assess
the severity of the pathology. To solve the coupled problem, we propose
a semi-implicit monolithic approach which consists in preconditioning
the linear system obtained after the space-time discretization and
linearization of the FSI problem with a suitable diagonal scaling
combined with an ILU preconditioner. Mitral regurgitant jets can be of
two kinds: central (i.e. flowing in center of the atrium) and eccentric
(i.e. flowing close to the atrial wall). The wall-hugging behavior of
the latter kind has been associated with the Coanda effect. We will
present numerical results for central jets and some preliminary work on
jets undergoing the Coanda effect.

Venue: 23 May at 11:30 am in room 004

--
Dr. Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth