Seminar coming up

Condensed_Matter_Group cm at ictp.it
Fri Nov 11 01:44:53 CET 2011

JOINT ICTP/SISSA STATISTICAL PHYSICS SEMINAR

Tuesday, 15 November   -   11:00 hrs.

SISSA, Santorio Building,  Room 128 (1st Floor)

G. GORI   ( SISSA )

"The inverse Ising problem for one-dimensional chains with arbitrary
finite-range couplings"

Abstract

Parameter estimation is a central issue in system modeling, the tipical
setting is to start with a given set of measurements and extract the
parameters of a model supposed to describe the system under scrutiny. The
recent availability of large datasets coming from the complex system has
made even more pressing the quest for efficient models, and the related
parameter extraction techniques.  We study Ising chains with arbitrary
multispin finite-range couplings, providing an explicit solution of the
associated inverse Ising problem, i.e. the problem of inferring the values
of the coupling constants from the correlation functions. As an
application, we reconstruct the couplings of chain Ising Hamiltonians
having exponential or power-law two-spin plus three- or four-spin
couplings. The generalization of the method to ladders and to Ising
systems where a mean-field interaction is added to general finite-range
couplings is also discussed.