Seminar coming up

Condensed_Matter_Group cm at ictp.it
Fri Nov 11 22:38:13 CET 2011

SEMINAR on   Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 17 November -  11:30 a.m.

Luigi Stasi Seminar Room,  Leonardo Building - first floor

Joe Miraculous BHASEEN   (Cambridge University)

"Collective dynamics of a Bose-Einstein condensate coupled to light"

Abstract

Motivated by recent experiments observing self-organization of
Bose--Einstein condensates in optical cavities we investigate the
collective dynamics of the associated non-equilibrium Dicke model. We find
a rich phase diagram including distinct superradiant fixed points,
coexistence phases, and regimes of persistent oscillations. We explore the
intrinsic timescales for observing these novel phases and discuss the
implications for finite duration experiments.