Forthcoming Dynamical Systems seminar

math math at ictp.it
Fri Jan 28 14:27:41 CET 2011

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2011

- DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS -

Tuesday, 1 February, at 14:00 hrs.

Dr. Benito Pires
(University of Sao Paulo, Brazil)

"Closing perturbations for vector fields with nontrivial recurrent
trajectories"

Abstract:
Let M be a closed 2-manifold and X be a C^r vector field on M.
We say that a trajectory of X is nontrivial if its not an equilibrium
point nor a periodic trajectory. A trajectory of X is called recurrent
if it accumulates on itself. The C1 closing lemma problem of Pugh states
that a nontrivial recurrent trajectory can be made periodic by
arbitrarily small perturbations of the vector field in the topology C^1.
In this talk, we present a class of vector fields for which
perturbations of the vector field in the topology C^2 make the
nontrivial recurrent trajectory into a periodic trajectory. Joint work
with Carlos Gutierrez.

VENUE: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room
(ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)