CHANGE OF TITLE for Dynamical Systems seminar of 1 February

math math at ictp.it
Mon Jan 31 10:50:37 CET 2011

Please note change of title!
===============================

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2011

- DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS -

Tuesday, 1 February, at 14:00 hrs.

Dr. Benito Pires
(University of Sao Paulo, Brazil)

"Vector Fields whose linearisation is Hurwitz almost everywhere"

Abstract:
A real matrix is Hurwitz if its eigenvalues have negative real parts.
The talk is about the following generalisation of the Bidimensional
Global Asymptotic Stability Problem (BGAS): Let X be a C^1 planar vector
field whose derivative DX(p) is Hurwitz for almost all point p in the
plane. Then the singularity set of X, Sing(X), is either an emptyset, a
one-point set or a non-discrete set. Moreover, if Sing(X) contains a
hyperbolic singularity then X is topologically equivalent to the radial
vector field (x,y)->(-x,-y). This generalises BGAS to the case in which
the vector field is not necessarily a local diffeomorphism. Joint work
with Roland Rabanal.

VENUE: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room
(ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first floor)