Tomorrow's seminar

Cond.Matt. & Stat.Mech.Section cm at ictp.it
Wed Feb 24 09:05:12 CET 2010

Joint ICTP/Democritos    INFORMAL SEMINAR on Chemical Physics

Thursday, 25 February   -    4:30 p.m.

Oppenheimer Meeting Room -   ICTP Main Building  (second floor)

  Yunfeng LIANG    ( Kyoto University )

"Self-accumulation of aromatics at oil-water interface - A molecular
dynamics study"

Abstract

The interface between two immiscible liquids is a noncentrosymmetric
environment about which we know very little in comparison with other
condensed-matter materials and their surfaces. Experimental probes of
liquid-liquid interfaces are limited because of the relatively small
size---typically only a few molecular diameters wide and the buried
nature of the interface. Here we have investigated the water and a
light-oil model interface. It was found that aromatics concentrate on
the interfacial regions, whereas the other hydrocarbons of oil are
uniformly distributed along the oil slab. We attributed the self-
accumulation of the aromatics to the favorable Gibbs free energy due
to the lower interfacial tension between the aromatics-water
interfaces. Further, we suggest that the “weak hydrogen bonding”
between the aromatic rings and the proton of the water are the cause
of the lower interfacial tension among others.

*In collaboration with Makoto Kunieda, Kennichi Nakaoka, Caetano R.
Miranda,Akira Ueda and Toshifumi Matsuoka.