Next week seminars

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Thu May 22 13:13:29 CEST 2008

MATHEMATICAL PHYSICS COLLOQUIUM

Monday 26 May, 16:30, SISSA Room D

Prof. Jean Bellissard  (Georgia Institute of Technology)

"The Noncommutative Geometry of Aperiodic  Solids"

We would like to remind you that the aim of the Colloquium is to
provide a talk that is introductory, thus accessible to students and
that could  be of interest to all the sector. We would like
to encourage you to partecipate.

Minicourse

Tuesday 27 May, 9:30, SISSA Room C

Prof. Jean Bellissard  (Georgia Institute of Technology)

"Construction of the Noncommutative Brillouin zone"

Minicourse

Wednesday 28 May, 9:30, SISSA Room D

Prof. Jean Bellissard  (Georgia Institute of Technology)

"Coherent and Dissipative Transport"

Minicourse

Thursday 29 May, 9:30, SISSA Room C

Prof. Jean Bellissard  (Georgia Institute of Technology)

"The Riemannian Geometry of the Atomic Surfaces"

Algebraic Geometry Seminar

Thursday 29 May, 14:30, SISSA Room C

Prof. Barbara Fantechi  (SISSA)

"Inertia Stack of \overline{M}_{g,n}"

Geometry and Physics seminar

Thursday 29 May, 16:00, SISSA Room C

Luca Stefanini  (Zurich)

"Integration of quotient Poisson manifolds"

Geometry and Physics seminar

Friday 30 May, 14:30, SISSA Room C

Dr. Vladimir  Dragovic  (Belgrade)

"Poncelet porisms and beyond"

Abstract: We start from the set $T$ of lines in $\mathbf R^d$ simultaneously
tangent to $d-1$ quadrics from a given confocal family. We analyse its
structure and derive a fundamental property of $T$: any two lines from this set
can be obtained from each other by at most $d-1$ billiard reflections at some
quadrics from the confocal family. We introduce two hierarchies of notions:
{\em $s$-skew lines} in $T$ and {\em $s$-weak Poncelet trajectories},
$s=-1,0,...,d-2$. The interrelations between billiard dynamics, linear
subspaces of intersections of quadrics and hyperelliptic Jacobians developed in
our joint paper with M. Radnovic (arXiv 0710.3656) enabled us to obtain
higher-dimensional and higher-genera generalizations of several classical genus
$1$ results.