Next week seminars

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Fri May 16 08:30:05 CEST 2008

MATHEMATICAL PHYSICS COLLOQUIUM

Monday 19 May, 14:30, SISSA Room D

Dr. Gianluca Panati (La Sapienza, Universita' di Roma)

"Geometric currents in piezoelectricity"

Abstract: Multiscale and adiabatic methods play a fundamental role in the
analysis of physical systems. In the talk, I will illustrate this
principle, at a non technical level, in the specific case of
piezoelectricity.
As a simple model for piezoelectricity we consider a gas of
noninteracting electrons subject to a slowly varying time-dependent
periodic potential. We will see that in the adiabatic limit the
macroscopic current is determined by the geometry of the Bloch
bundle. As a consequence we obtain the King-Smith and Vanderbilt formula
up to errors smaller than any power of the adiabatic parameter.

Algebraic Geometry Seminar

Thursday 22 May, 14:30, SISSA Room C

Fabio Nironi  (SISSA)

"Moduli Spaces of Stable Sheaves on Deligne-Mumford Stacks"

Upcoming Colloquium:

Mon 26 May 2008 16:30 SISSA Room D

Prof. Jean Bellissard (Georgia Institute of Technology)

"Construction of the Noncommutative Brillouin zone"