Next week seminars

Emanuele Tuillier Illingworth tuillier at sissa.it
Thu May 29 13:23:23 CEST 2008

Algebraic Geometry Seminar

Tuesday 3 June, 16:00, SISSA Room C

Prof.  Lorenzo Ramero (Lille I)

"Local systems on the punctured disc"

Abstract: We consider local systems of F-modules on the etale site of the
p-adic punctured disc, where F is the algebraic closure of a finite field
of  characteristic different from p. We explain how such local systems admit a
canonical decomposition which is fully analogous to the "break decomposition"
for l-adic representations of a complete DVR of characteristic p.

Quantum Mechanics Seminar

Tuesday 3 June, 16:00, SISSA Room B

Prof. Michele Correggi (SNS Pisa)

"Vortices in Rotating Bose-Einstein Condensates"

Geometry and Physics seminar

Wednesday 4 June 2008 14:30 SISSA Room D

Antonio Moro (Loughbourough)

"Integrable regimes in nonlocal nonlinear optics"

Abstract: Nonlocal nonlinear optics (NNO) is one of the most important
developments in modern optics. In the recent years it was shown that
nonlocality plays a crucial role in the propagation of stable spatial
"solitons" in three dimensions. The problem of the integrability of these kind
of systems is still open, and, apart few (very interesting) cases the main
theoretical results on the behaviour of solutions are obtained numerically.
Most of the models in NNO are based on a nonlocal nonlinear Schrodinger (NNLS)
type equation. The dispersionless limit of the NNLS equation is equivalent to
the geometric optics limit. We analyze in detail singular phase solutions and
introduce a class of integrable nonlocal perturbations. We also discuss the
possibility to introduce wave(dispersive)-deformations for different nonlocal
models.

Algebraic Geometry Seminar

Wednesday 4 June 2008 14:30 SISSA Room C

Prof. Marco Manetti (La Sapienza, Roma)

"Periods of generalized deformations"

Abstract: A generalized deformation of a complex manifold is defined
algebraically as a solution, up to gauge, of the Maurer-Cartan equation in the
algebra of polyvector fields. We show that in the Kaehler case, every
generalized deformation gives canonically holomorphic maps into the
Grassmannian of graded subspaces of the De Rham cohomology. For classical
deformations the above maps reduces to Griffiths period maps.

Upcoming Colloquium:

Monday 9 June 2008 14:30 SISSA Room D

Prof. Ramakrishnan Ramadas  (ICTP)

"TBA"