This week's seminar

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Wed Mar 22 08:43:49 CET 2006

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

INFORMAL SEMINAR  on  Statistical Physics

Friday, 24 March    -    2:00 p.m.

Room 239 -   Main Bldg.- II floor

S. SINHA   ( The Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai )

" The emergence of popularity: Statistical mechanics of movie income "

	Abstract

Why do certain products/ideas become extremely popular, while other
quite similar entities don't even make it off the mark?  Can popularity
be understood simply as a statistical phenomenon, completely
independent of the intrinsic quality of the product/idea? In this work,
we look in detail at movie popularity, analysing the income of movies
released in recent years, in both USA and India.  Our results offer
interesting parallels with popularity in other fields, e.g., of
scientific papers as measured by citations.  We conclude with
discussion of models we have proposed to explain various features of
the observed movie popularity distribution.