This week's seminar

CM ICTP - Trieste cm at ictp.it
Mon Mar 27 15:30:54 CEST 2006

CONDENSED MATTER AND STATISTICAL PHYSICS SECTION

INFORMAL SEMINAR on   Disorder and strong electron correlations

Thursday, 30 March    -    11:00 a.m.

Room 239,  Main Bldg.- II floor

N. KUMAR    ( Raman Research Institute, Bangalore )

"Current division in parallel: A surprise"

	Abstract

Consider some pieces of a wire of superconducting material having
unequal lengths in general and connected in parallel.  If, now, the
combination, assumed to be in the normal state, is connected to a dc
current source, the total current is known well to divide resistively.
  If, on the other hand, the conductors were in the superconducting
state, the current is again known, though less well now, to divide
inductively.  If, however, the combination of the current carrying
conductors, initially in the normal state is cooled to and below the
superconducting transition temperature, the current distribution is
experimentally found to evolve towards equipartition. This indeed is a
surprise.  In this talk, I will present our experimental findings, and
suggest a physical mechanism for and a theoretical treatment of this
self-organization of the current towards equipartition on cooling
through the transition.