Mathematics Seminar - 5 April 2006

Mabilo Koutou mabilok at ictp.it
Tue Mar 21 16:18:18 CET 2006

M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S   2006

Series of Lectures in "Experimental Discoveries of Mathematical Facts"

Wednesday, 5 April, at 14.30 hrs.
Venue:  ICTP Seminar room (Main Building, first floor)

Professor V.I. Arnold
(Steklov Institute, Moscow, Russia)

Statistics of topological structures of smooth functions, of
polynomials, of trigonometric polynomials, of affine Coxeter groups
and the Sixteenth Problem of Hilbert. (Lecture 1)

Abstract:

One associates to a smooth function a graph, defined as the topological
  space whose points are the connected components of the level
hypersurfaces of the function.  The talk describes the structures of
these graphs for the Morse functions with a fixed number of critical
points and for the polynomials and trigonometric polynomials of given
degree or a given spectrum (provided, for instance, by the Newton
polyhedron of that trigonometric polynomial for an affine system of
roots).