FOR THOSE WISHING TO ATTEND ONLINE - ICTP Mathematics Seminars - Friday 6 October, at 16:00 - Yakov Pesin - Venue: Luigi Stasi seminar room/(ADDENDUM)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Fri Oct 6 11:03:31 CEST 2023

_Join Zoom Meeting:_

_https://zoom.us/j/95832470887?pwd=SlFZdW4wVTl1ek55Y2JiMTJUOXFSdz09

_Meeting ID: 958 3247 0887
Passcode: 230310
_

_ICTP MATHEMATICS SEMINARS 2023_

Friday 6 October 2023, at 16:00

VENUE: Leonardo Building - Luigi Stasi Seminar Room

Title: How big is the set of Birkhoff generic points

Speaker: Yakov Pesin (Pennsylvania State University & Eberly College of
Science)
https://yakovpesin.com/

Abstract: Given a homeomorphism of a compact metric space and a
continuous function, I will discuss the question of how big the set of
Birkhoff generic points associated with the function is. This set plays
an important role in studying dynamics of the map. To answer this
question I will consider various ways of “measuring” a set: by using
invariant measures, computing its Hausdorff dimension, and determining
its Baire category. In the talk I will concentrate on the last
characteristic — the Baire category — which gives some information on
the topology of the set. This will be an introductory talk to the
subject and it will be self-contained.

/https://indico.ictp.it/event/10553/
/

--
Koutou Mabilo
ICTP Mathematics Group

For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way
that respects and enhances the freedom of others. Nelson Mandela