Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar, 18 April at 11:00am, Federica Surace

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Mon Mar 27 11:07:31 CEST 2023

---------------------------------------
  Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar
---------------------------------------

** * * Tuesday**, 18 April 2023, 11:00**am ***(CET)** * **
In person: *Luigi Stasi Seminar Room **(Leonardo Building, second floor)***
**
/Zoom:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYudOisqzspGNALyT5pD1RmCY96qUiJ2Ztv/<https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIsfuuhqjsrE9EZY2loNxNobg8Lf39NUVHJ>

Speaker: *Federica Surace *(California Institute of Technology)

Title: *Weak perturbations of integrable models

*
Abstract:
A quantum integrable system slightly perturbed away from integrability
is typically expected to thermalize on timescales of order τ∼λ^-2 ,
where λ is the perturbation strength. We here study classes of
perturbations that violate this scaling, and exhibit much longer
thermalization times τ∼λ^-2k where k>1 is an integer.  Systems with
these "weak integrability breaking'' perturbations have an extensive
number of quasi-conserved quantities that commute with the perturbed
Hamiltonian up to corrections of order λ^k . We demonstrate a systematic
construction to obtain families of such weak perturbations of a generic
integrable model for arbitrary k. We then apply the construction to
various models, including the Heisenberg, XXZ, and XYZ chains, the
Hubbard model, models of spinless free fermions, and the quantum Ising
chain. Our analytical framework explains the previously observed
evidence of weak integrability breaking in the Heisenberg and XXZ chains
under certain perturbations.