High Energy Physics / SISSA Seminar

Rosanna Sain rosanna at ictp.it
Mon Jun 26 09:57:01 CEST 2023

HIGH ENERGY PHYSICS / SISSA SEMINAR

MONDAY, 26 JUNE 2023, 14:00 p.m. - _SISSA, ROOM 135_

Maxim LYUTIKOV
(Purdue University, USA)

"Plasma physics of Fast Radio Bursts"

Abstract: Fast Radio Bursts are millisecond-long bursts of coherent
radio emission coming from halfway across the Universe. They likely
originate in “Solar flares”-like events in magnetospheres of
ultra-magnetized neutron stars. I will discuss the relevant plasma
physics challenges: adopting Solar and Heliospheric processes to the new
regime of relativistically magnetized plasma. I will also discuss an
unusual regime of plasma-laser interaction, and how the concept of Free
Electron Lasers may help us to understand these mysterious events.

All those interested are most welcome to attend.