CMSP Seminar (Atomistic Simulation Seminar Series) 26 April, 11:00AM, Daniele Coslovich

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Fri Apr 14 12:09:44 CEST 2023

CMSP Seminar (Atomistic Simulation Seminar Series)

*Wednesday, 26 April 2023, 11:00a.m.*
*IN PERSON: Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (Leonardo Building second floor)*/
/

/Zoom registration link:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJAkdOqrqTMpHdOZnfCyqhIlhh18phO5leOX
/

Speaker: *Daniele Coslovich* (University of Trieste)

Title: *Towards understanding glassy liquids: from physical theories to
machine learning*

Abstract:

Glasses are amorphous solids produced by cooling a liquid fast enough to
avoid crystallization. Mankind has manufactured them since thousands of
years and yet we still lack a fundamental understanding of how and why
they form. In this seminar, I will give a brief overview of some of the
long-standing open problems about the glass transition. I will show how
enhanced sampling methods are helping to disentangle competing
theoretical descriptions of glassy liquids and then discuss recent
applications of machine learning techniques in this context.

--

CMSP, Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
http://www.ictp.it/research/cmsp.aspx

The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
https://www.ictp.it/

----