QLS seminar by Michele Buzzicotti in person on 29 November 2022 at 11.00 CET

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Fri Nov 25 09:11:38 CET 2022

Dear All,

On Tuesday, 29 November at 11:00 CET, Michele Buzzicotti (Physics Dept.,
Tor Vergata University, Rome, Italy) will give a seminar titled:
*
****Physics-Informed Data-Driven Tools: From Ideal models to Geophysical
systems
***

Abstract:

Our ability to collect data is rapidly increasing thanks to
computational power and the unprecedented diversity of sensors. But how
good are we at extracting, reconstructing, and understanding information
from them? Big data are not easy to digest. Our knowledge about the
Earth system is not increasing at the same speed as data, but it follows
the slower progress of Data Reconstruction and Modelling techniques.
Performing in-silico experiments on ideal/complex systems, we examine
the applicability of Physics-Informed Data-Driven (PIDD) tools to
extract interpretable information from sparse & heterogeneous
observations of complex flows. Key applications are data-driven physics
modeling, data augmentation, and super-resolution. We compare
state-of-the-art purely Data-Driven tools, such as Generative
Adversarial Networks (GAN) [1], with purely Physics-Informed approaches,
such as Nudging [2], on the ability to reconstruct missing data. At the
same time, we will discuss how the potentials of both techniques are
combined in the most advanced Physics-Informed Neural Networks. Moving
from ideal cases such as turbulence on a rotating frame or
Rayleigh-Benard convection I will discuss how PIDD tools can potentially
result in a ground-breaking methodological revolution of today's data
analysis and data-reconstruction techniques in applications such as
ocean observations [3,4].

[1] M. Buzzicotti, F. Bonaccorso, P. Clark Di Leoni, L. Biferale.
Reconstruction of turbulent data with deep generative models for
semantic inpainting from TURB-Rot database. Physical Review Fluids 6
(5), 050503, (2021).
[2] M. Buzzicotti, P. Clark Di Leoni. Synchronizing subgrid scale models
of turbulence to data. Physics of Fluids 32 (12), 125116, (2021).
[3] B.A. Storer, M. Buzzicotti, H. Khatri, S.M. Griffies, H. Aluie.
Global energy spectrum of the general oceanic circulation. Nature
communications 13 (1), 1-9, (2022).
[4] M. Buzzicotti, B.A. Storer, S.M. Griffies, H. Aluie. A
coarse-grained decomposition of surface geostrophic kinetic energy in
the global ocean. Earth and Space Science Open Archive: ESSOAr  & arXiv
preprint arXiv:2106.04157, (2021).

Indico webpage: https://indico.ictp.it/event/10130/

___The seminar will take place in the Common area, second floor, old
SISSA building_

You are all most welcome to attend!

Best regards,
Erica

Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary Quantitative Life Sciences
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
Trieste, Italy
Tel. +39-040-2240623
www.ictp.it/research/qls.aspx
e-mail: qls at ictp.it