TODAY - QLS seminar by Rati Sharma in person on 24 November 2022 at 11.00 CET

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Thu Nov 24 09:32:19 CET 2022

Dear All,

Today,  Thursday, 24 November at 11:00 CET, Rati Sharma (Indian
Institute of Science Education and Research-IISER, Bhopal, India) will
give a seminar titled:

*Stochasticity in cellular processes*

_Abstract:_
All cellular processes are characterized by stochasticity (or noise) and
the kind of noise involved has profound effects on their dynamics. In
this talk, I will discuss the effects of noise on two specific
biological processes viz. (i) mRNA translation process and (ii)
virus-immune response pathway.
In the first problem we model extrinsic noise in mRNA translation, and
find, among other effects, the residence time distribution broadens
significantly when the noise influences the entry rate (initiation rate
of ribosome on the mRNA) in comparison to the exit rate of ribosomes.
The ribosome residence time distribution obtained due to the presence of
extrinsic noise in the translation initiation rate is also similar to
that obtained for the natural codon specific variation of initiation
rates [1].

In the second problem, I will discuss our model of the interaction
between T cells (immune cells) and viruses. We introduced fractional
Gaussian noise in order to account for variability in the dynamics of
the entities and obtain an analytical expression for the joint
probability density function of these variables and the average viral
load in the early and late stages of infection [2]. In further
extensions, we developed and studied a more complex model through
simulations [3]. Upon comparing the theoretically predicted average
virus levels to those of COVID-19 patients, we hypothesize that the long
lived dynamics that are characteristic of such viral infections are due
to the long range correlations in the temporal fluctuations of the virions.

The effects of noise on these specific cellular processes illustrate the
importance of studying variability in these systems.