TODAY - QLS seminar by Ludovic Jami in person on 23 November 2022 at 14.00 CET

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Wed Nov 23 09:31:14 CET 2022

Dear All,

Today,  Wednesday, 23 November at 14:00 CET, Ludovic Jami (Universite'
de Tours) will give a seminar titled:

*Multiscale Approach in Physical Ecology of Insects: Modelling of
Aerosols-carrying Pheromones*

_Abstract:_

Chemical communication is ubiquitous in insects and plants life, but
complete understanding of the paths taken by chemicals to explain the
performance of these systems is not achieved. Critical gaps exist in the
understanding of the physico-chemistry of these chemicals for their
transport in the near-ground atmosphere. We proposed that some of them
form films on aerosol surface and get transported as clusters.
Therefore, aerosols could carry chemical signals over long distances.

     In this talk, we will show that mesoscale modelling tells that the
kinetic of this adsorption process is sufficiently fast to occur during
the atmospheric transport of the pheromones.  To assess this mechanism,
identification of molecular candidates and model interface leading to
high enough adsorption Gibbs energy is necessary. We will further
present molecular dynamics simulations that enable to compare, at the
microscale, the film formation and 2D phase state of an iconic pheromone
(bombykol) and three of its derivatives on pure water.  These results,
and their multiscale integration, help us to gain insights in the
processes that play a role in pheromonal communication of insects and
illustrates the importance of physico-chemistry in environmental science.

___The seminar will take place in the Common area, second floor, old
SISSA building_

You are all most welcome to attend!

Best regards,
Erica

Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary Quantitative Life Sciences
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
Trieste, Italy
Tel. +39-040-2240623
www.ictp.it/research/qls.aspx
e-mail: qls at ictp.it