QLS guest seminar (in person) by Matthieu Jonckheere - TODAY 11 May 2022 at 14h00 CET

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Wed May 11 09:19:02 CEST 2022

Dear All,

Today, 11 May 2022 at 14h00 CET, Matthieu Jonckheere (CNRS, LAAS,
Toulouse) will give a seminar titled

*Distance learning using Euclidean percolation: Following **Fermat**'s
principle*

Abstract:
In unsupervised statistical learning tasks such as clustering,
recommendation, or dimension reduction, a notion of distance or
similarity between points is crucial but usually not directly available
as an input. We proposed a new density-based estimator for weighted
geodesic distances that takes into account the underlying density of the
data, and that is suitable for nonuniform data lying on a manifold of
lower dimension than the ambient space. The consistency of the estimator
is proven using tools from first passage percolation.  We then
illustrate its properties and implementation and evaluate its
performance for clustering tasks on toy models. Finally, we discuss the
choice of the (unique) critical parameter involved.

/Joint work with P. Groisman, University of Buenos Aires and F.
Sapienza, UC Berkeley /

The seminar will be held in the Common Area, 2nd floor, ex SISSA
Building, via Beirut, 2

You are all most cordially invited to attend!

Best regards,
Erica

Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
Quantitative Life Sciences
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
Trieste,  Italy
Tel. +39-040-2240623
www.ictp.it/research/qls.aspx
e-mail:qls at ictp.it