QLS seminar (in person) by Iuri Macocco (SISSA) on Wednesday 6 April March at 15:00CET

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Thu Mar 31 11:46:35 CEST 2022

Dear All,

Next Wednesday, 6 April 2022 at 15h00 Iuri Macocco (SISSA) will give a
seminar in presence titled:

*"**An intrinsic dimension estimator for discrete-metric spaces:
formalization and first applications**”*

Abstract:

IReal world datasets characterised by discrete features are ubiquitous:
 From categorical surveys to clinical questionnaires, from unweighted
networks to genomic strands. Nonetheless, the development of methods to
treat data with discrete features lags behind, particularly concerning
geometric and manifold learning approaches. Due to the lack of such
tools, the analysis of aforementioned dataset still relies on algorithms
developed for continuous spaces, inevitably introducing approximations,
error and biases. In this work, starting from the appropriate definition
of volumes on lattices, we develop a very simple, yet effective, routine
to estimate the intrinsic dimension of datasets naturally described by
discrete metric spaces. Besides, our id estimator allows to explicitly
select the scale at which the id is computed, an important property that
is hardly provided even in estimators for continuous spaces. We assess
the validity of the new estimator on artificial datasets against a state
of the art continuous estimator and then apply it to a controlled-id
spin system as well as to an ensemble of genomic sequences

Indico page https://indico.ictp.it/event/9921/

The seminar will take place in the Common Area, 2nd floor, ex SISSA
Building, via Beirut, 2 at 15h00

You are all most cordially invited to attend!

Best regards,

Erica

Erica Sarnataro
Group Secretary
Quantitative Life Sciences
The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
Trieste,  Italy
Tel. +39-040-2240623
www.ictp.it/research/qls.aspx
e-mail:qls at ictp.it