QLS-CMSP Joint seminar (Sergio Pantano) on 13 June 2022 at 11:00 CET

Quantitative Life Sciences qls at ictp.it
Fri Jun 10 09:51:49 CEST 2022

Dear All,

On Monday, 13 June at 11:00 CET, in the Central area, 2nd floor, old
SISSA building, Via Beirut, 2

  Sergio Pantano (Institut Pasteur de Montevideo, Uruguay) will give a
seminar titled:

*******************A coarse-grained approach to get viruses into your
desktop computer: A close look into Zika virus structure and dynamics*

Abstract:

Physical Virology is a relatively new discipline aimed to unravel the
physical forces that rule the assembly and destabilization of viral
particles. Computational approaches can provide structural and dynamical
insights into those processes. However, the computational cost of
simulating entire viral particles constituted by millions of atoms is
prohibitive without the use of supercomputer resources. We have
developed a plug&play coarse-grained force field for biomolecules
including topologies and interaction parameters for proteins, lipids,
nucleic acids and aqueous solvent named SIRAH (Southamerican Initiative
for a Rapid and Accurate Hamiltonian). Our force field grants over 2
orders of magnitude speed up, making the simulation of viruses
affordable to desktop computers.

We used this force field to characterize the dynamics of Zika virus,
revealing unforeseen protein-lipid interactions that contribute to store
significant tensile energy in the viral membrane, proposing it as an
important factor in the spring-loaded configuration of the mature virion.