QLS seminar (Tosif Ahamed) via Zoom on 1 February 2022 at 15.00 CET

Quantitative Life Sciences Section qls at ictp.it
Mon Jan 31 09:12:02 CET 2022

Dear All,

On Tuesday, 1 February  at 15:00 CET, Dr Tosif Ahamed
(Lunenfeld-Tanenbaum Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto,
Canada) will give a zoom webinar titled:

*Data-driven Modeling of Animal Behavior *

Abstract:
In this talk, I will describe recent work on analyzing behavioral
dynamics using the theory of nonlinear dynamics. I will first describe
ways to convert time-series observations into a phase-space, which is a
maximally predictive geometric representation of the data. The
phase-space, once properly reconstructed, contains all dynamically
relevant information available in the measurements. Next, I will
describe methods to extract meaningful information from the phase space
by analyzing its local geometry and topology. Applications include
separating continuous behaviors into discrete motifs, identifying
salient events, extracting long time-scale structure, quantifying
behavioral variability and studying coupling between sub-systems.