ICTP Basic Notions Seminar - Friday 9 December at 16:00 (Diletta Martinelli)/hybrid seminar

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Thu Dec 8 17:19:49 CET 2022

ICTP BASIC NOTIONS SEMINARS 2022

Friday, 9 December, at 16:00

Hybrid seminar

Venue: for in-person attendees (Leonardo da Vinci, Luigi Stasi seminar
room).

For virtual attendees:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0od-ihrTIjH9F3K0rVN45vAwYwC2diqLtL

Register in advance for this meeting:

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the meeting.

Speaker: Diletta Martinelli (University of Amsterdam)

Title: What is a moduli space?

Abstract: Given a certain set of mathematical objects, a guiding
question is often the classification problem. In algebraic geometry, the
objects that you would like to classify have usually some geometry
interests, like for instance manifolds, vector bundles, algebraic
curves. The attempt to reach a meaningful classification often leads to
the construction of a moduli space: a parameter space whose points
correspond to all the objects you would like to study. In the talk, I
will give a very gentle introduction to the notion of parameter space
focusing on elementary examples. If time permits, at the end I will give
some hints towards more complicated but also more interesting examples.

https://indico.ictp.it/event/10142/