IN PERSON Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar, 19 December 14:00hrs Luigi Stasi Sem. Room, Dr Yasir Iqbal

CMSP Seminars Secretariat OnlineCMSP at ictp.it
Wed Dec 7 09:37:12 CET 2022

---------------------------------------
Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar
---------------------------------------

** * * Monday**, 19 December 2022, 14:00**(CET) * * **

In person: *Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (Leonardo Building, second floor)
*
/Zoom registration link:
https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcpdeqorjkiGt1d2wTZfofD2zAxc3Ek4si2/**

Speaker: *Yasir Iqbal *(Indian Institute of Technology Madras)

Title: *“Completing the square” in frustrated magnets

*
Abstract:
Spin Hamiltonians which permit a “completing of squares” display some of
the most intriguing phenomenon about which much remains to be explored.
The classical Heisenberg antiferromagnet on the kagome and pyrochlore
lattices being classic examples. In this talk, I will open a Pandora’s
box in the guise of the innocuous looking FCC lattice, and show how the
Heisenberg model with long-range interactions allows for completion of
squares in nontrivial ways, each giving rise to nontrivial degenerate
ground state manifolds. I will discuss how these findings set the stage
for potential realization of classical and quantum spin liquids, as well
as spin-nematic orders. I will conclude by presenting the pseudofermion
functional RG approach which has shown promise in capturing the impact
of quantum fluctuations in 3D frustrated magnets and present some
results for the FCC lattice.

----

CMSP Seminars support:OnlineCMSP at ictp.it

CMSP, Condensed Matter & Statistical Physics Section
http://www.ictp.it/research/cmsp.aspx

The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics
https://www.ictp.it/

----