Geometric Structures - Khazhgali Kozhasov - Mar 9 - 4:15 pm (Rome Time)

Miruna - Stefana Sorea mirunastefana.sorea at sissa.it
Tue Mar 9 09:00:14 CET 2021

Dear All,

This is a reminder of today's seminar from the series "Geometric
Structures".

Speaker: KHAZHGALI KOZHASOV  [1]( [1]Technische Universität Braunschweig
[1]) [1]

Title:  On minimality of determinantal varieties

Time: March 9, 2021, 4:15 pm (Rome Time)

Venue: from remote only, on zoom at this link
https://sissa-it.zoom.us/j/85675591787?pwd=TUo2VXpmcEhOU1paRzBXUWp2MU1odz09
[2]
Passcode: geometry

Abstract:

Minimal submanifolds are mathematical abstractions of soap films: they
minimize the Riemannian volume locally around every point. Finding
minimal algebraic hypersurfaces in _𝑅__𝑛_ for each n is a long-standing
open problem posed by Hsiang. In 2010 Tkachev gave a partial solution to
this problem showing that the hypersurface of n x n real matrices of
corank one is minimal. I will discuss the following generalization of
this fact to all determinantal matrix varieties: for any m, n and r<m,n
the (open) variety of m x n real matrices of rank r is minimal. More
generally, I will show that real tensors of fixed multi-linear rank form
a minimal submanifold in the Euclidean space of all tensors of a given
format. The talk is partially based on a joint work with A. Heaton and
L. Venturello.

More information can be found here:
https://sites.google.com/view/geometric-structures/ [3]

Everyone is welcome!