SISSA/IGAP algebraic geometry seminars

Alessandro Nobile anobile at sissa.it
Fri Jan 22 15:20:20 CET 2021

Dear all,
    this is to announce the next SISSA/IGAP algebraic geometry seminar,
centered on Calabi-Yau manifolds.

In order to clarify some basic aspects of the topic, we will follow  the
second chapter of the book Calabi-Yau Manifolds and Related Geometries
by M. Gross, D. Huybrechts, D. Joyce, written by Mark Gross.
Our goal is to understand the classic example of the mirror quintic.

SPEAKER:    Andrea RICOLFI - SISSA

TITLE:      Mirror symmetry for the quintic 3-fold

WHEN:       Thursday, January 28 at 4.30pm (Rome)

WHERE:      Link Zoom:
https://sissa-it.zoom.us/j/82730767281?pwd=Z0JGU0JUZ2E5QnkycjM4ZXRQNCt1QT09
            ID riunione:  827 3076 7281
            Passcode:     589911

ABSTRACT:   We recall the "definition" of Mirror Symmetry and we show
that the quintic 3-fold V has a mirror family V* in the sense of this
definition. The main step is to identify complex moduli of V* and Kähler
moduli of V locally around the most degenerate boundary points: this is
the mirror map. We shall see that the mirror map identifies the A-model
and B-model correlation functions, and how this led the physicists in
the 90's to make outstanding predictions on the number of rational
curves on V.

Everybody interested is warmly welcomed to attend.

Best regards,
Andrea, Alessandro and Michele