Geometries at SISSA -- Orsola Tommasi

Antonio Lerario lerario at sissa.it
Fri Dec 10 08:55:50 CET 2021

Dear All,

this is to announce our next seminar from the series "Geometries at SISSA".

The purpose of this series is to present topics in modern geometry in a way
that is accessible to a broad audience, in a colloquium style seminar. (The
list of the forthcoming seminars is available here
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HQOOFwqQ9VRbIcZINinS1W_kjD8xasOaePrxCZqpoKo/edit?usp=sharing>
.)
After the seminar we will also go to get dinner together, please sign up
here <https://forms.gle/uavBPGzfw3TkcuP88>.
Everyone is welcome to join!

Our speaker will be Orsola Tommasi (UNIPD).

-----
Speaker: Orsola Tommasi (UNIPD)
Title: Natural classes in the cohomology of the moduli space of curves

Time: December 15, 5pm (Rome time)
Venue: room A005, SISSA main building
(from remote at this link https://sissa-it.zoom.us/j/86574806499)

Abstract: The moduli space of curves parametrizes smooth projective curves
(or, equivalently, compact Riemann surfaces) of a fixed genus g. Its
rich geometry
reflects the geometry of families of curves and has relations with several
areas of geometry as well as with Mathematical Physics, Topology and
Combinatorics. In this talk, we will discuss the structure of the
cohomology ring of the moduli space of curves and, specifically, several
ways to construct cohomology classes that are natural from different points
of view, such as the tautological classes and the cohomology classes of
maximal Hodge weight.