What's new on the EC's Research and Innovation website

Henningsen Susanne hennings at ictp.it
Mon Apr 12 13:03:01 CEST 2021

read on-line version
<https://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/rtd/newsletter-specific-archive-issue.cfm?newsletter_service_id=1325&lang=en>
| ISSN 2599-9222

  Research and Innovation

    What's new

European Commission Logo

Header Image

follow us : ‌ icon Twitter <https://twitter.com/EUScienceInnov> ‌ icon
Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/EUScienceInnov/> ‌ icon Youtube
<https://www.youtube.com/EUScienceInnovation> ‌ icon RSS
<http://ec.europa.eu/research/index.cfm?pg=rss&lg=en> ‌

News Alerts
Coronavirus: Commission mobilises €123 million for research and
innovation to combat the threat of variants
The Commission is mobilising €123 million from Horizon Europe, the new
EU research and innovation programme, for urgent research into
coronavirus variants. This first emergency funding under Horizon Europe
adds to a range of EU-funded research and innovation actions to fight
the coronavirus and contributes to the Commission's overall action to
prevent, mitigate and respond to the impact of coronavirus variants, in
line with the new European bio-defence preparedness plan HERA Incubator.

Mariya Gabriel, Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture,
Education and Youth said:

/We continue to mobilise all means at our disposal to fight this
pandemic and the challenges presented by coronavirus variants. We must
use our combined strength to be prepared for the future, starting from
the early detection of the variants to the organisation and coordination
of clinical trials for new vaccines and treatments, while ensuring
correct data collection and sharing at all stages//./

	Main URL
<https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_21_1548>

SeeAlso

	See also
	Coronavirus research
<https://ec.europa.eu/info/research-and-innovation/research-area/health-research-and-innovation/coronavirus-research-and-innovation_en?pk_campaign=rtd_news>

Success stories
A new approach to studying ocean ecology

Science has long held that in the food chain, plants support animals.
While this may be true on land, the EU-funded MixITiN project has shown
that such a system isn’t applicable to our oceans. The project hopes
that its findings will help to improve knowledge and thus broader
education efforts on marine ecology, allowing citizens to gain a better
understanding of the ocean’s great wonders.

Photo

	Main URL
<https://ec.europa.eu/research-and-innovation/en/projects/success-stories/all/new-approach-studying-ocean-ecology?pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

SeeAlso

	See also
	More Success stories
<https://ec.europa.eu/research-and-innovation/en/projects/success-stories?pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

Events
Protect our oceans: the challenge of Europe's global leadership
As one of the first contributions to the 2021-2030 United Nations Decade
of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development, the European Conference
will take place the week following the 2021 World Oceans Day, at a time
when global ocean governance is at a critical juncture.

	Main URL
<https://ec.europa.eu/info/events/protect-our-oceans-challenge-europes-global-leadership-2021-jun-16_en&pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

Date

	Date
	16/06/2021

Venue

	Venue
	Online

SeeAlso

	See also
	More events
<https://ec.europa.eu/info/research-and-innovation/events/upcoming-events_en&pk_campaign=whatsnew_newsletter>

Horizon magazine
Q&A: BioNTech vaccine is only ‘mRNA 1.0’. This is just the beginning,
say co-founders

The successful development of mRNA vaccines for Covid-19 is
‘transformational’ and opens the doors to new types of vaccines for
other infectious diseases as well as cancer, according to Dr Özlem
Türeci and Dr Uğur Şahin, the co-founders of Germany’s BioNTech.

Photo

	Main URL
<https://horizon-magazine.eu/article/qa-biontech-vaccine-only-mrna-10-just-beginning-say-co-founders.html>

SeeAlso

	See also
	Horizon magazine <https://horizon-magazine.eu/>

The European Commission is committed to personal data protection. Any
personal data is processed in line with the Regulation (EU) 2018/1725
<https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32018R1725&from=EN>.
Please read the privacy statement
<http://ec.europa.eu/research/pdf/ssps_communication_19022019.pdf>.