High Energy Physics Seminar

Rosanna Sain rosanna at ictp.it
Mon Oct 12 13:03:32 CEST 2020

**********************************
HIGH ENERGY PHYSICS SEMINAR
**********************************

THURSDAY, 15 OCTOBER 2020, 14:30 p.m.

Tarek ANOUS
(University of Amsterdam)

"Towards a microscopic model of AdS fragmentation"

Abstract:A salient feature of black holes near extremality is the
appearance of an AdS$_2$ throat in their near-horizon geometry.
Depending on the underlying theory, these AdS$_2$ throats may be
unstable to fragmentation, wherein a single throat is instead replaced
by a tree-like structure of branched AdS$_2$ throats. For
Einstein-Maxwell theory, the underlying reason behind this instability
is the existence of multi-centered configuration in the moduli space of
black hole solutions at fixed total charge. Given the success of the
Schwarzian/SYK paradigm for understanding a single AdS$_2$ it is time to
revisit the fragmentation story. To build up intuition, I will present a
model, studied in the statistical mechanics literature, that shares many
features with SYK, including exact solvability at large-N and an
emergent conformal symmetry that gets weakly broken in the UV. The novel
feature of this model is the appearance of a spin glass phase at O(1)
temperatures, which I will try to relate to the fragmentation story.

Please register in advance for this meeting:

https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIoc-2hrToqE9VuShkX6fIPbYjmqTAsSoD1

After registration, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining
the meeting.