CMSP Seminar ZOOM Meeting Thursday 7 May 2020-- note at 11:30 a.m.

ICTP/CM cm at ictp.it
Mon May 4 15:30:27 CEST 2020

CMSP Seminar
Joint ICTP/SISSA Condensed Matter Seminar

When: Thursday 7 May -- please note time at 11:30 a.m.
Where: Join ZOOM ID Meeting 799-099-444

_Speaker:_ Maksym Serbyn (IST, Austria)

_Title:_   Quantum many-body scars, mixed phase spaces and non-universal thermalization.

_Abstract: http://indico.ictp.it/event/9362/ _In my talk I will discuss a
weak ergodicity breaking relevant for the experimentally realized
Rydberg-atom quantum simulator [1]. I will concentrate on the
variational description of unusual quantum many-body revivals that
originate from the small set of special non-thermal eigenstates. I will
relate this dynamics to presence of stable periodic trajectories within
time-dependent variational principle (TDVP) description of dynamics [2].
I will use TDVP to find new "scars" and explore their response to
perturbations of the Hamiltonian in one and two spatial dimensions. For
two dimensional systems I will introduce the synchronization mechanism
that helps stabilizing quantum revivals and mitigates boundary effects
[3]. Finally, I will discuss a new opportunities for the creation of
novel states with long-lived coherence in systems that are
now experimentally realizable [1]. [1] H. Bernien, et al., Nature 551,
579–584 (2017) [2] A. A. Michailidis, C. J. Turner, Z. Papić, D. A.
Abanin, M. Serbyn, Phys. Rev. X 10, 011055 (2020) [3] A. A. Michailidis,
C. J. Turner, Z. Papić, D. A. Abanin, M. Serbyn, arXiv:2003.02825