CANCELLED: ICTP Mathematics Seminar - Wednesday 26 February, at 14:00 (Douglas Coates)

ICTP Math Section math at ictp.it
Mon Feb 24 10:20:00 CET 2020

PLEASE NOTE, ALL SEMINARS AND ACTIVITIES AT ICTP HAVE BEEN CANCELLED,
FOR ONE WEEK. THIS IS A PRECAUTIONARY MEASURE IN REGARD TO CORONAVIRUS.
------------
M A T H E M A T I C S   S E M I N A R S  2020

Wednesday 26 February, at 14:00 hrs.

Douglas Coates (Exeter University, UK)

Semi-stable laws for wobbly intermittent maps

Abstract: A classical problem in probability theory is to understand the
behaviour of centred and scaled sums of independent identically
distributed (iid) random variables. A well known result in this area is
the central limit theorem which loosely states that if X_1, X_2, ... is
an iid sequence of mean 0 random variables of finite variance then
(1/\sqrt{n}) \sum_{j=1}^{n} X_j will converge in distribution to a
Gaussian random variable. Generalisations of the central limit theorem
exists for the case that the variance of the X_i is no longer finite, in
this case the scaling 1/\sqrt{n} is altered and the limiting
distribution may no longer be Gaussian. One may generalise even further
and consider all weak limit points of the sequence (1/A_n)(\sum_{j=1}^n
X_j). It turns out that under some very mild restrictions all the limit
points of this sequence have distribution belonging to the same class -
namely they are semi-stable. In this talk we will be interested in what
happens when the iid sequence X_1, X_2, ...  is replaced by a
deterministic one. We will take a particular map T:[0,1] \to [0,1] (a so
called wobbly intermittent map) and a function u:[0,1] \to R and replace
the sequence X_1, X_2, ... with the sequence u, u \circ T, u \circ T^2,
.... I will present recent work joint with M. Holland and D. Terhesiu in
which we show that for all functions u belonging to wide class the
sequence u, u \circ T, u \circ T^2, ... will satisfy semi-stable limit
theorems.

VENUE:  Luigi Stasi Seminar Room (ICTP Leonardo da Vinci Building, first
floor)